- 1 ½ cups fresh whole-grain bread crumbs
- ½ cup 1% milk
- 1 Ib extra-lean ground sirloin
- 8oz light mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/3 cup packed freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place fresh bread crumbs in a small bowl and pour milk over crumbs. Let stand 5 minutes or until milk is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine crumbs with all remaining ingredients, except olive oil. Mix well. Shape into meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a deep, non-stick, 14inch skillet. Add meatballs and cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
- To finish cooking the meatballs, either add 2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce to the skillet or any other sauce you prefer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 25 minutes, or remove meatballs from skillet and transfer to a large baking pan. Bake meatballs at 400 F about 20 minutes or until cooked.
Makes 24 meatballs
80 calories, 3.8g total fat (1.4 saturated fat)
8g protein, 3g carbs, 0.3g fiber, 27mg cholesterol
From: Janet & Gretta Podleski, The Looney spoons collection