Asian Lentil Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 can (8 oz per can) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed and dried
- Simmer lentils in unsalted water according to package directions until just tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in bell pepper and onion and saute until softened, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add drained lentils, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and water chestnuts, cook while tossing, 1 minute (thin as needed with a few tablespoons of water. The lentils will absorb some of the sauce as the mixtures rests so you can thin with a little water as desired).
- Toss in walnuts, sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and optional sesame seeds. Serve while filling is warm in lettuce leaves