Baked Oat Crust
Try this crust with your fresh local produce!
Recipe from The oh she glows cookbook.
- 5 Ounces (140grams) pitted Medjool dates
- (2/3 Cup/150mL pitted dated)
- 1,1/4 cups (300mL) gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2cup (125mL) pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon (1mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5mL) salt
- 3 tablespoons (45mL) coconut oil, at room temperature
- Make the crust: preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease a 9-inch (23cm) pie dish with coconut oil. If your dates are firm, soak them in water for 30 to 60 minutes and drain before using.
- In a food processor, combine the oats, pecans, cinnamon, and salt and process it until the mixture has the texture of course sand. Add the dates and oil and process again until the mixture comes together. It should stick together when pressed with your fingers. If its dry, add 1teaspoon (5mL) water and process again.
- Sprinkle the crust mixture all over the base of the pie dish. starting from the middle, press the crumbs firmly and evenly into the dish in an outward direction. The harder you press the crumbs into the dish, the more it will hold together. Push the crust up along the sides of the dish and even out the edge with your fingers. Poke several fork holes in the crust and bake, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes on a cooling rack.