- 1 cup each: oats, coconut, sesame and sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, all toasted
- 1 cup ground flax
- 2.5 cups chopped dried dates
- 2 cups almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 additional cup toasted coconut, for coating
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Soak the dates in warm water to soften them (optional).
- Spread the first five ingredients on a large cookie sheet.
- Toast them in the oven for ten minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Drain the dates (if they have been soaked) squeeze them to remove excess water.
- Put dates, toasty ingredients, flax, syrup and almond butter in a large bowl and combine well with your hands.
- Roll into balls (you choose the size) and roll in coconut.
- Substitute raisins, goji berries, or dried cranberries for half the called-for amount of dates
- Add in your choice of chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts )
- Use hemp seeds in place of ground flax
- Chocolate chips!
- There are no specific measurements for any of the suggested ingredients. If the combined ingredients become too dry, just add in some more almond butter or honey to hold it all together.
- Best kept in a closed container in the fridge.