Hearty Minestrone Soup
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean beef or turkey
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas/or green beans
- 2 16 oz cans kidney beans, or 1 can kidneys beans and 1 can chickpeas or black beans
- 1/2 cup pasta (small shells or macaroni)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add turkey or beef and saute, stirring frequently until meat is no longer pink.
- Lower heat to medium and add onions, celery, carrots, garlic, parsley, and dried basil. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, cabbage, zucchini, peas/green beans, kidney beans/chick peas or black beans and pasta.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add salt and pepper if desired and fresh basil.