Low Fat Breakfast Bars
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup natural bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
1/4 cup slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup milk (1%)
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine oats, bran, wheat germ, flour, dried cranberries, almonds, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, applesauce, milk and brown sugar. Pour over dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Spread into prepared baking pan, smoothing top.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean (35 - 40 minutes).
- Cool in pan on wire rack before cutting into bars.
Nutritional information: (per 112 g serving)
Calories 217; Protein 9g; Fat 6g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Carbohydrate 35g; Fibre 6g; Sugars 13g; Sodium 349mg.