(French Canadian Savoury Pie for the Holiday Season)
- 2 1/2 cups whole mushrooms of choice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3-4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 yellow potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 5-8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Prepared pie crust of choice (add some freshly ground pepper to crust recipe if possible)
- Arrange mushrooms in pan and dry roast on medium heat until soft and dry roasted. Transfer to a bowl, and when cool slice into quarters. Add coconut oil, celery, onion, (garlic if using), and potatoes to the pan. Add roasted mushrooms to pan. Add nutmeg and allspice, vegetable stock, and water. Cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat when potatoes are soft and some of the liquid has evaporated. Mash with a potato masher or back of a large spoon until 'chunky'. Add thyme, and apple cider vinegar to taste, as well as a pinch of salt if necessary.
- Fill prepared crust with filling. Top with top layer of pastry, pinching edges to form a seal. Lightly brush with water and cut 4-6 ventilation holes on top.
- Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to set for 10 minutes before slicing.