Whole Wheat Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- confectioner's sugar (optional)
For the Strawberry Sauce
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- In a medium bowl whisk dry ingredients together.
- In another medium bowl beat together eggs, buttermilk, milk, honey and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry, mixing only enough to combine. Batter will be somewhat lumpy.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto griddle or skillet (use method of choice to make it non-stick).
- Flip pancake when top is bubbly and is golden brown on the bottom.
- If desired, cut pancakes into heart shape using cookie cutter.
- Transfer pancakes to a warm oven (about 200 F.) until all are cooked.
- Puree strawberries in food processor until mixture is 'chunky'.
- Transfer to small saucepan and heat on low until warm.
- Stir in lemon juice and maple syrup.
Put pancake on plates, and ladle about 1/3 cup of sauce onto pancakes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.